Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pumpkins Get Pimped and Squashed in Downhill Race

We talk about anything with wheels here at GTSOTR and I'm long overdue for a race report from the 2nd Annual Great SBCC Pumpkin race in lovely Bellevue, Washington.

Last year, the family and I took home a trophy for best design with our homage to the Blue Flame on a sodden day. 

This year I focused on building something that would win for speed. My initial design was going to be the Teardrop of Terror, but I adjusted the name to the more accurate and friendly Raindrop Racer. Fortunately, the day of the race was cool and dry, bringing out more racers. The competition was tougher this year, including from my friends rule-bending gourd design that avoided the cheater smash by being incredibly cute.

The Raindrop Racer made it to the second round but I overcompensated for the off-kilter steering and missed the cut for the final heat. 

We'll be back next year with another design idea and perhaps some more friends among the competitors. 

Style over speed

The Raindrop Racer had speed but not steering.

The winning design

Gourdeous and Raindrop

Putting the hammer down
Gathering speed

Riveting release for the Raindrop Racer

The final heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment